Pre - requisites for a FLOWSYS system administrator
1. General prerequisites
- in order to be able to give support during the warranty period, the
customer must have at least one system administrator on-site at all
- a FlowSys system administrator has to have the described skills (see
below) before being trained by RTS.
- a system administrator must be available to RTS at all times during
(normal customer working hours) via phone and e-mail.
- the customer has to provide a modem connection (telephone number)
that allows RTS to connect and login into all FlowSys computers at the
site via remote connection.
- the system administration on the customer site is responsible:
- to keep all documentation and CD-ROMs in a safe place and provide
it to RTS on request on-site
- to help the users (e.g. press operators) with finger troubles
- provide the modem connection to RTS on request by RTS when remote
diagnostics or program updates are necessary
- after the FlowSys training the system administration on the customer
site MUST be able to:
- reinstall a complete FlowSys DCS computer without RTS assistance
- fully understand and maintain all adjustable system parameters
in WindowsNT, MS Office and FlowSys
- make 'qualified' error reports when unexpected events happen or
the system seems to behave erroneous
- prepare reports for the management
- the system administration on the customer site MUST be able to communicate
2. Previous experience / training
- good experience (or a very good training, but experience is always
better) with the Windows NT 4.0 operating system but not as programmer
but as a system administrator (e.g. knowledge of the different configuration
settings and their parameters). The person should be able to configure
Windows NT users, maintain disk programs, data files and disk space,
to do system backups etc.
- good experience or training with the network protocol TCP/IP to be
able to reconfigure the FlowSys computers in case there is the need
to change the TCP/IP addresses. On the other hand this knowledge is
also required to be able to configure management PCs into the system
because these also communicate with FlowSys ORACLE database via the
- good knowledge (not necessarily experience, but a good understanding
which can come also from a good training) of the Oracle database. Here
we also do not need programming knowledge but system administrator knowledge.
We are currently running Oracle version 8.0.
- experience with the ORACLE SQL query language. I guess just a training
without any experience is in this case not enough. The person can get
her/his experience also on the job, but then she/he will (in my opinion)
need a couple of month (3 to 6 months) before she/he is able to understand
what we teach in our training.
- experience or training with the Microsoft products MS Word, MS Excel
and MS Visual Basic. The person should have experience with Windows
95/NT. We use currently MS Office 97 that has MS Word and MS Excel and
the required Macro (Visual Basic) programming language included.